DIY Fruit and Veggie Wash
This topic has come up a couple times over the last few weeks so I decided to look into a little bit more. Why should you wash you Fruits and Vegetables when you get them home from the grocery store? They look so shiny and clean sitting there on display! Well lets talk about just a few reasons why!
1)How many people touched that apple before you pick it up, put it in your bag, take it home and eat it? We all are guilty of this, we pick up a couple apples till we find the perfect one. You don't know who didn't wash their hands after going to the bathroom and maybe picked up that apple first.....ewww! (Thinking of that alone is enough reason for me to wash my fruits and vegetables)
2) Farmed fruits and vegetables have Pesticides on them. 'But I buy Organic?' Even organic farms use some form of Pesticide, I am much happier with their organic pesticide in comparison to the chemicals used on the other produce, but that doesn't change that I would prefer not to eat it. Even more of reason to wash my fruits and vegetables.
3) What makes produce shiny? There is a layer of wax on your produce that you buy from the grocery store! Ewww I don't want to eat wax! This wax use to be applied to lengthen the shelf life of produce and can be a pain to get off.
4) Your produce may last longer!I have noticed that since I have begun washing my fruits and vegetables they are lasting longer. I pay more attention to how I store them and it pays off.
So what are you to do? The good news is making a Fruit and Veggie was can be very easy!
Fruit and Vegetable Soak
What You Need:
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 10 drops Lemon essential oils
How you use it:
- Fill the sink with water
- Add Apple Cider Vinegar and Essential Oils
- Soak for a few minutes
- Rinse with cold water
- Let dry and store properly
Fruit and Vegetable Spray
Need something more? Some people like using a Fruit and Vegetable Spray specifically for harder skinned produce.
What You Need:
- 1 and 1/2 cups Filtered or Distilled Water
- 3/4 cup Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 10 drops Lemon Essential Oils
- 16 oz glass spray bottle
How to Use It:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a glass spray bottle
- Shake to Mix Well
- Spray produce and let sit for a couple minutes
- Rinse in cool water, let dry and store properly
I hope these little tricks help you! Its really simple and really cheap to make your own Fruit and Vegetable Rinse and Spray. Have fun with this new natural solution :)